Thursday, April 15, 2010

Jumping in...

Okay.  I refused to be one of those people who sucks at writing blog entries.  But it's time to come clean:  I'm deeply ambivalent. 

On the one hand, I feel like an old lady, because I definitely have a voice in me that says blogs, Facebook, Twitter, blah blah blah - that's for self-centered people who think their random thoughts are worth other people's time. 

On the other hand, I need to force myself to get my words out there, get into the daily practice of putting words on the page, and knowing I have followers (hi followers!), no matter how few, will help keep me accountable.

So here's the deal.  I will post here every day for one week.  Period.  And we'll see how it goes.  I will stop censoring and editing myself, waiting for something "blog-worthy" that isn't too private to share or the time to write a friggin' dissertation about a news item.  This will be my Gen X/Gen Y cusper - version of Twitter (which I TOTALLY can't deal with...even though I'm all up in Facebook like it's my job). 

Entry for today?  Check.  Come back tomorrow.  Let's see if it gets interesting. 

And, for the sake of documenting a bittersweet day, some words from Marvin Bell:

Around Us  
by Marvin Bell

We need some pines to assuage the darkness
when it blankets the mind,
we need a silvery stream that banks as smoothly
as a plane's wing, and a worn bed of 
needles to pad the rumble that fills the mind,
and a blur or two of a wild thing
that sees and is not seen. We need these things
between appointments, after work,
and, if we keep them, then someone someday,
lying down after a walk
and supper, with the fire hole wet down,
the whole night sky set at a particular
time, without numbers or hours, will cause
a little sound of thanks--a zipper or a snap--
to close round the moment and the thought
of whatever good we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment